Sunday, June 12, 2011

Post-Trip Thoughts

Being in Kenya was more than just meeting the people and eating the food; it was a decision to attempt to understand the depth of the world God created, and to just maybe, figure out the roll I play in this life. Honestly, being back in the US has been a blessing, and a burden. I am comforted by my running water, air conditioning, and technology, but left feeling a little out of place because I am losing my ability to relate to many problems here; especially since I've seen a lot of the sadness and hopelessness of poverty. Interestingly enough, many of the people I spent an amount of time with seemed infinitely more happy than many of my friends, family, and acquaintances in the US. All of this said, my heart is left conflicted and confused. I am sad for the conditions of the slums and the HIV status of many people, yet encouraged by their faith and hope that God will provide. I am comforted in my life here and the security of my home, yet restless because I am desperately trying to make sure that I will not forget those people or that place.

Whether you are from the US, Manchuria, Poland, Brazil or Kenya; in the end, somehow, we are all together. God has brought us here to rejoice in His love and His creation, and part of that is celebrating other people and their beautiful lives; all under one God, on one earth, and together in spirit.


Just some thoughts as I battle through some of the experiences and realities.

No comments:

Post a Comment